South African heritage cake
This show-stopping, Insta-ready cake is so pretty, you (almost) won’t want to eat it!
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- ½ cup (125ml) melted butter, cooled
- 1 cup (200g) white sugar
- 1½ cups (225g) cake flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
- ¼ cup (30g) icing sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30ml) water or lemon juice
- Liquorice Allsorts
- Maynards Jelly Babies
- Maynards Fruit Jubes
- Liquorice Allsorts Twists
- White mmmMallows
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Whisk eggs, vanilla, milk and butter together.
- Combine sugar, flour and baking powder.
- Stir wet and dry ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour batter into a large greased rectangular cake tin.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Combine icing sugar and water or lemon juice to create a paste.
- Cover the top of the cake with paste to use as a glue for the decorations.
- Separate your assorted Beacon sweets into the colours of the South African flag.
- Assemble the sweets carefully on top of the cake in the shape of the flag.
- Serve, remembering to take some fabulous photos before you cut the cake!
Cook’s note: Short on time? Simply buy a ready-made vanilla sponge cake and begin at step 7, above.
What you need
Original Liquorice Allsorts 150g
Maynards Jelly Babies 125g
Maynards Fruit Jubes 125g
mmmMallows Pink & White 150g
Liquorice Twists Liquorice Allsorts 75g