Red velvet cupcakes with melted chocolate toppers
There are few things better than great red velvet cupcakes. Plus: your guests will never guess how easy it was to make the fancy melted chocolate brushstroke decorations!
- 2 cups (225g) cake flour
- 2 tsp (10ml) cocoa powder
- ½ tsp (3ml) bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup (250g) butter, softened
- 1 cup (200g) light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- Few drops red food colouring
- 1 tub (200g) full fat plain cream cheese
- 2 cups (240g) icing sugar
- 1 slab (80g) Heavenly Ivory Cream
- 1s lab (80g) Heavenly Milk Chocolate
- 1 slab (80g) Heavenly Midnight Velvet
- Combine cake flour, cocoa powder, bicarb, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk and vanilla essence into butter and sugar.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine.
- Use red food colouring to tint batter as desired and let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Spoon batter into a greased muffin pan and bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cool completely.
- Whisk cream cheese and icing sugar together until smooth.
- Pipe onto cooled red velvet cupcakes.
- Melt Ivory Cream, Milk Chocolate and Midnight Velvet separately, either in the microwave or on the stovetop using a double boiler (place chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmeringwater). Keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Place spoonfuls of melted chocolate onto baking paper and create brushstrokes using a small-to-medium-sized (2-3cm wide) paintbrush.
- Allow to dry completely before carefully removing from baking paper and placing on iced cupcakes.
- Serve the red velvet cupcakes and enjoy the compliments!
What you need
Heavenly Milk Chocolate 80g
Heavenly Midnight Velvet 80g
Heavenly Ivory Cream 80g