Rainbow surprise cake
No celebration is complete without a cake, and what better one to serve than this showstopper with theatrical flair!
- 3 cups (450g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 cup (125g) plain flour, sifted
- 2⅔ cups (590g) castor sugar
- 1⅓ cups (330g) butter, melted
- 1¾ cups (430ml) milk
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla essence
- 1 drop each purple, pink, yellow and green food colouring
- 1 cup (250g) butter, softened
Secret centre and toppings
- 1 packet (100g) Jelly Tots
- Handful rainbow vermicelli
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Grease 4 round cake tins and line with baking paper.
- Combine flours, sugar, butter, milk, eggs and vanilla essence in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix on low speed using an electric mixer, for 2 minutes or until just combined. Increase speed to high and beat for 3 minutes or until mixture is thick and pale.
- Divide cake mixture evenly among 4 bowls, then add a drop of food colouring to each bowl and mix well.
- Pour colours into separate cake tins and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. (If you only have 2 cake tins, do this step in 2 batches.)
- Beat butter for frosting in a medium-sized bowl until pale and creamy, then add icing sugar and beat for a further 3 minutes.
- Melt white chocolate in the microwave, add slowly to the buttercream and continue beating until smooth and creamy.
- Level the cakes by cutting just enough off the tops to ensure they will stack evenly.
- Cut a 10cm round from the centre of 2 cakes using a cookie cutter (try to be as accurate as possible so that the holes line up perfectly). Remove and discard centres.
- Place a whole cake on a serving plate and spread frosting over the top.
- Top with a cut cake. Spread frosting over the top, then stack with remaining cut cake.
- Spread top and inside the hole with frosting, then spoon enough Jelly Tots into the hole to fill it.
- Top with remaining cake layer, then spread frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle all over with rainbow vermicelli.
- Serve and slice to reveal the secret centre.
What you need
Original Jelly Tots 100g